Garden

Well we have been in the new house almost a month, thus the lack of posting lately. It's unbelievable how much work goes into living in an older home, especially in the first few weeks.

I am going to try to document all the changes we make. Most of the work we have done so far is on the outside.

The new home came with a garden, and while the previous owners had landscaped it beautifully, there was still a lot of work to do. I don't have a green thumb. Well, really I have no clue if I have a green thumb because I have never had a garden before. This is all new to me! :)

This is the front of the house:



My dad took out a giant tree-like weed and it immediately improved. I installed (read: stuck in the grass) solar lights along the walk-way. I found them for $2 each at Target! I went back for more and they were all sold-out! :(

One major purchase we couldn't wait on was this beautiful bistro set from Lowe's:


Here they are on our front porch. I removed the cushions because I like the way they look naked: 


We have enjoyed a few glasses of wine sitting there.

Side note: I am at Lowe's at least once a day, if not more. I could work there. I know where everything is located and all of the worker's are starting to recognize me. Everyone there is always very friendly and helpful so I wanted to give them a shout-out.

We also have a really cool stone stairway going up our super steep front lawn:


It came complete with a friendly little plastic raccoon. See him? Anyway, we are going to clean this up and uncover the stones.

Another thing my parent's did was start a garden in the back along the neighbor's garage. You can't see them yet but there are 4 clematis vines that will eventually grow up on the trellis:


And here is our little rose garden. It's no White House Rose Garden but it will do:


See that fence? My husband spent 2 days painting it and repairing it:


Note the beer sitting on the fence post. We have been living on Coors Light while we repair and restore our home.

Along the driveway we intend to pave where the dirt meets the house or put in pavers. My husband spent a good deal of time pulling out ivy that had literally grown its way into our basement windows and never wants to deal with that mess again.


And along the right side of the driveway we are trying to get these little guys to spread. I think they are super cute:



On the other side of the house is a walkway and a shaded garden area with 3 evergreen-type trees. I have no idea what they are called. We want to lay sod here since we are a bit overwhelmed with gardens and would like more grass-covered areas for our young one to run around in. I am still toying with the idea of removing the trees to let in more sun but have to think of another way to maintain privacy from the house next door. 


What do you think? Leave me a comment!

Comments

CMP said…
It's so much work, but so fun! And I give you credit for doing it while you have the baby.
Anonymous said…
Hey baby! Are you talking about the three trees in this picture and putting grass??? I think that's a great idea, especially with the number of gardens you are going to weed year round... just ask your mom! and I like the trees with grass, you have another fair springer child!!! LOL it looks beautiful, we LOVED your new home! xoxo
Leah said…
Looks great!!!
Mom said…
Looks beautiful - love makes a home and you have an abundance of that. Enjoy. The tasks are sometimes a pain but the end result is so gratifying. Happy Nesting. Note (from an experienced and mistake making home owner - rethink pavers or paving next to the driveway abutting the house - could cause problems with drainage and basement leaks. That's why they don't pave up to the house when they put driveways in. Water has to have a way to flow - and it seeks the easiest route which you don't want to be thru the basement.
mom xoxo said…
nice privacy fence and grass and then you don't need the trees. Maybe just one nice tree like a columnar maple - they are more upright and don't spread out a much as a regular maple. Love the idea of grass for Char to have a shady little play area right outside a big kitchen window. so Mommy can watch her and enjoy watching her play. Okay I'm stopping now - your ideas are great. I love the house - soooo cute.

Popular Posts