Welcome Ben!
He's finally here! Introducing Benjamin Thomas Kanaan:
He arrived on a Monday (December 8), just like his siblings! And just in the nick of time at 11:28 pm. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs 7 oz, even though I was told I was having a 7 1/2 lb baby at my appointments. He was 2 days late, the only one to arrive late. He is long like his siblings at 21 inches. By the time we left the hospital he was down to 7 lbs 15 oz.
I love to read birth stories but have never documented by own for some reason. This guy's arrival was not without a touch of chaos, so we went out with a bang.
At my 40w+2day appointment on Monday, I was 3 cm and 90% effaced and way low. After my doctor swept my membranes (again) at 11:15 am, I had cramping and contractions started soon after I got home. I went in to hospital at 4 pm with contractions 5 min apart. I was still at 3 cm and very effaced and stayed a few hours in triage. Because I didn't dialate further the nurse decided I wasn't in active labor. I knew better considering this is my 4th child and I never dialate without them breaking my water, no matter my contractions. However, I couldn't convince them I knew I was in active labor and got sent home at 7 pm just as my contractions started to get closer together and MUCH stronger. I was NOT happy about that as I could have been on my way up for an epidural instead of heading home. By the time I got home I was in the worst pain ever. I tried to take a shower and after another hour of non-stop contractions that were unbearable, we went right back to the hospital. In triage I checked in at 5 cm dialated and they finally admitted me as baby's head was basically as low as possible before giving birth. I couldn't even speak I was in such pain. After the lengthy check-in process, moving to the L&D floor, getting hooked up, and answering a ton of questions, I finally got an epidural! Life was sunshine and roses at that point, and I could finally talk and relax. It was probably 9 pm at this point. They checked me and I was almost fully dialated and had a lot of pressure! She checked me again at 10 pm and then called my doctor. She arrived at 11:15 pm and just as they were about to break my water, it popped like a balloon! Two contractions and 4 pushes on a very low epidural (ouch) and he was here! He cried immediately (my first cryer!) and he fell asleep on my chest. He ate and ate for hours. We finally got to postpartum room at 1 am and asleep at 2 am. Everyone slept great except for me - probably too much euphoria!
The girls came to see Ben the next morning and were completely in love:
Ian was wavering between skeptical, confused, and uninterested:
In the hospital, Ben ate and slept like a champ:
And by Wednesday morning he was ready to go home:
We are settling in and getting to know Ben.
Charlotte, Emilia, and Ian are super curious about him and equally excited :)
Welcome home, Baby Ben! We love you!
He arrived on a Monday (December 8), just like his siblings! And just in the nick of time at 11:28 pm. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs 7 oz, even though I was told I was having a 7 1/2 lb baby at my appointments. He was 2 days late, the only one to arrive late. He is long like his siblings at 21 inches. By the time we left the hospital he was down to 7 lbs 15 oz.
I love to read birth stories but have never documented by own for some reason. This guy's arrival was not without a touch of chaos, so we went out with a bang.
At my 40w+2day appointment on Monday, I was 3 cm and 90% effaced and way low. After my doctor swept my membranes (again) at 11:15 am, I had cramping and contractions started soon after I got home. I went in to hospital at 4 pm with contractions 5 min apart. I was still at 3 cm and very effaced and stayed a few hours in triage. Because I didn't dialate further the nurse decided I wasn't in active labor. I knew better considering this is my 4th child and I never dialate without them breaking my water, no matter my contractions. However, I couldn't convince them I knew I was in active labor and got sent home at 7 pm just as my contractions started to get closer together and MUCH stronger. I was NOT happy about that as I could have been on my way up for an epidural instead of heading home. By the time I got home I was in the worst pain ever. I tried to take a shower and after another hour of non-stop contractions that were unbearable, we went right back to the hospital. In triage I checked in at 5 cm dialated and they finally admitted me as baby's head was basically as low as possible before giving birth. I couldn't even speak I was in such pain. After the lengthy check-in process, moving to the L&D floor, getting hooked up, and answering a ton of questions, I finally got an epidural! Life was sunshine and roses at that point, and I could finally talk and relax. It was probably 9 pm at this point. They checked me and I was almost fully dialated and had a lot of pressure! She checked me again at 10 pm and then called my doctor. She arrived at 11:15 pm and just as they were about to break my water, it popped like a balloon! Two contractions and 4 pushes on a very low epidural (ouch) and he was here! He cried immediately (my first cryer!) and he fell asleep on my chest. He ate and ate for hours. We finally got to postpartum room at 1 am and asleep at 2 am. Everyone slept great except for me - probably too much euphoria!
The girls came to see Ben the next morning and were completely in love:
Ian was wavering between skeptical, confused, and uninterested:
In the hospital, Ben ate and slept like a champ:
And by Wednesday morning he was ready to go home:
We are settling in and getting to know Ben.
Charlotte, Emilia, and Ian are super curious about him and equally excited :)
Welcome home, Baby Ben! We love you!
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments